Nominations & Elections Committee
GHI's Nominations & Elections Committee is composed of five members who are elected to one-year terms by the membership at the annual meeting. N&E elects its own chair, who is designated in the bylaws as the director of elections. N&E has a good deal of freedom to define its own schedule and activities but typically meets from October until the annual meeting and election in May.
The responsibilities of the Nominations & Elections (N&E) Committee are described in Article VII Section 1 of the GHI Bylaws. The Committee is charged with soliciting candidates, announcing available elected positions in news media, and planning and executing the candidates' forum held prior to the annual meeting. The N&E Chair ”the Director of Elections” certifies the members' election of directors and audit committee members at the Board's organizational meeting which follows the annual membership meeting. No officer, employee, or member of the Board may serve on this Committee.
- Setting the schedule for the annual election in accord with the bylaws.
- Preparing publicity and other written materials needed for elections.
- Identifying and soliciting members to become candidates for office.
- Submitting nominations for the annual election.
- Conducting a candidate forum.
- Administering all aspects of membership elections including the annual election in May and any other referendums that might be required.
- Performing ballot counts.
- Certifying the results of elections to the board and the membership.
N&E is a committee that particularly benefits from having a changing membership and new ideas, since the entire cooperative benefits from identifying potential candidates for elected office from all quarters of GHI.
If you would like to serve on the N&E Committee, read the Candidate Packet to find out about running for office, or contact any member of N&E or the Director of Member Relations at 301-474-4161 x 138.
- Join Our Community
- Member Resources
- Governing Documents
- Maintenance Request >>
- Tools and Rules >>
- Selling Your Home >>
- Communicator Newsletter
- Community Beautification Program Overview
- Guest House Rental
- About GHI
- Homes Improvement Program
- Contact Us