In 1941, the government built another 1,000 row houses to support the growing number of federal workers in Washington, D.C. Since most of the workers were employed in the war effort for World War II, the homes were called “Defense Homes.”
In 1952, the U.S. Congress voted to sell off the Green Towns. Greenbelt residents formed a housing cooperative to purchase most of the homes and much of the woodland. The cooperative, which was originally called Greenbelt Veterans Housing Corporation, later became known as Greenbelt Homes, Inc.
- The Greenbelt Museum, with lectures, exhibits, and an actual historic house furnished with objects from the 1930s
- Time Magazine, “The Presidency: Homework,” Nov. 23, 1936
- Time Magazine, “Housing: Greenbelt,” Sept. 13, 1937
- Time Magazine, “The Administration: The Greenbelt Mystery,” May 10, 1954