Local public schools include Greenbelt Elementary School, Greenbelt Middle School, and Eleanor Roosevelt High School, conveniently located near GHI. See Prince Georges County Public Schools at https://www.pgcps.org. There is also a Montessori school, a French Immersion School (K-8) and a Friends Community School (K-8) nearby.
GHI is only minutes from the Beltway and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. It is conveniently located close to public transportation and bike paths.
Parks, Recreation, and Fitness
Members of GHI live within walking distance of many activities for all interests and age groups.
Greenbelt Lake, woodlands, farmland, and trails:
- The trail around Buddy Attick Lake Park is a favorite place for Greenbelt residents to stroll, hike, or jog. The lake also is a favorite fishing and picnicking spot. Individual picnic tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis, while larger picnic areas are available with a city permit. The lake area hosts a popular, day-long Fourth of July celebration concluding with fireworks over the lake.
- Woodlands and hiking trails surround and wind throughout GHI. Member volunteers maintain the trails and trail markings. Many GHI homes back up to these woodlands.
- Within walking distance from the north end of town, GHI is close to the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The Center is open to the public, providing an excellent site for biking, jogging, hiking, and scenic drives.
- Greenbelt National Park – This urban oasis features 9 miles of hiking trails, picnic areas and 174 campsites.
- Common areas and playgrounds – Many common areas, playgrounds, inner-walkways, and underpasses are part of Greenbelt’s original town plan. Children and adults enjoy the common areas, where they can play games, have picnics with neighbors, and exercise their dogs. Many of the common areas include playgrounds, some designed for toddlers and others that appeal to children of all ages. GHI members have access to 20 playgrounds throughout the community, 8 of which are owned and maintained by the co-op.
There are 20 playgrounds within the community that all members and their families enjoy. Members can find a playgound only a short walk away from their homes and most adjacent to common areas and gardens.
Greenbelt offers an abundance of amenities within walking distance of GHI. They include an aquatic and fitness center, a community center and recreation facilities.
Arts & Entertainment
In Greenbelt and the surrounding area there are many opportunities to find a faith community.
Restaurants & Shopping
Restaurants and shopping centers are within walking distance of GHI or a short drive, bicycle ride, or bus ride away. Roosevelt Center is the historic town center featuring a cooperatively-owned grocery store, hair salons and a nail salon, a bakery, restaurants, a convenience store, a credit union and an outdoor plaza with benches and tables.
Or just a little further away, you’ll find Greenway Center
And Beltway Plaza Mall to meet the rest of your shopping needs.